Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    GSB KART CHAMP & 107MPH CLUB MEMBER ramm's Avatar
    Name
    Chris
    Bike(s)
    07 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    for starters, i havent "censored" (spell it right if you're gonna use the word) shit in quite a long time.

As for youre problem Dan, i dunno what to tell ya, i use the new posts tab as well, and its been working just fine. Maybe the cookies are expiring, hell, youre here so little, thats very likely.
    Damn high road taker!

Not a Squid
    Name
    larry
    Bike(s)
    2011 Ninja 1K, 2008 Hypermotard
    I also use new posts, and in a 24 hour period typically get about 20 to 30 of them

Name
    Dan
    Bike(s)
    Mine: '09 DL650, '08 WR250R / Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    As for youre problem Dan, i dunno what to tell ya, i use the new posts tab as well, and its been working just fine. Maybe the cookies are expiring, hell, youre here so little, thats very likely.
    I check the forum several times a day, I just don't post nearly as much as I used to. But part of my frustration of not posting is not keeping up with the threads since half of them never show as new for me. I'll figure it out eventually.
    Last edited by BlueLghtning; 01-26-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
    Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R, 01 FZ1
    Hers: 13 CRF250L, 07 Ninja 650R, 06 F650GS,
    Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

States & Provinces I've ridden in:
    49 states completed between 2006 & 2008

Name
    Dan
    Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wallypiper View Post
    It has to be a cookie problem. I do know, from my own experience, that even a momentary login may cause all posts to be classified as not new any more. Sometimes not though. It seems that the system updates the status of that on some fixed interval and if you log in right before it updates and are logged in when the update happens, all posts are changed to not new. But if you log in right after the update, you can be logged in for some time without it happening.

Could it be that one of your devices - smartphone, tablet etc. - is logging in just because you have launched a browser even though you don't view the GSB tab?. I know that I am sometimes surprised by the tabs that are opened in the Dolphin browser on my phone when I start it. Android apps don't open and close like windows apps. On my phone, and this may apply to all android phones, some apps like Dolphin have an explicit "Exit" option but most don't. I have a shortcut on my home screen to my work email. If I don't close the browser but just go back to the home screen and then launch the shortcut again, it opens a new tab to the same url so I end up with two tabs with the same page. So I assume that the browser is still running in the background, logged into my mail even though I'm not looking at it.
    Wally, those are some good possibilities. I do have a tablet and smart phone, but I don't usually log into GSB through them, unless my laptop is just not accessible. I do however log into a VPN client for work through my laptop which of course momentarily resets all my network activity when it logs in. And I do keep several tabs open on FF through out the day for forums, one of them being GSB. It might be that when I log into VPN, its resetting all the cookies for the threads up to that point as read, so that when I check a little bit later, there's only a couple new since that point. The only weird thing, is that GSB is the only forum of many that I check that I have this issue with. The rest of them don't care if I log in/out of my VPN, keep the tabs open all day, etc.

Maybe I'll try some experiments like closing the GSB tab when I'm done checking for the day and then open it back up to check for the next day and see if I have more than just a couple un-read threads.
    Last edited by BlueLghtning; 01-26-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Name
    Dan
    Bike(s)
    And just for reference, this thread didn't show in my new posts. I had to go find it.

GSB KART CHAMP & 107MPH CLUB MEMBER ramm's Avatar
    Name
    Chris
    Bike(s)
    07 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
    And just for reference, this thread didn't show in my new posts. I had to go find it.
    Try a different browser. Works great for me in chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by ramm View Post
    Try a different browser. Works great for me in chrome.
    +1 I switched to Chrome a few months ago. It's soooo much faster and better than IE.

Bike(s)
    SV,VFR,FJR
    Mine too.
    You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. - Clarence Darrow
    "My next bike will be a Hayabusa only because my stature when riding on one makes it more comfortable on longer trips."

Name
    Tom
    Bike(s)
    BMW R1150R, 749RSE
    bwa-hahahahaha