Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
    Name
    Lee
    Bike(s)
    '07 Yamaha FZ6

Ducati Monster a good place to start?

Folks,

I'm curious. I'm looking to buy a Ducati Monster as my first road bike. I live in Atlanta so I will be riding in urban environments but I love road trips and visiting friends in TN and FL. I've been riding dirt bikes (250-450s) for a long time and I'm looking to take that passion to the streets. I like a less aggressive riding position than the extreme sport bikes. I'm confident in my riding ability to get a sport bike or naked bike. Any advice of how to go about finding a Monster in good condition, what yo look for when buying used bikes, and whether or not that's a good choice at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

Name
    Tom
    Bike(s)
    BMW R1150R, 749RSE
    Yes, its a great bike to start on. What is your budget? If you are looking for a good used one, there are a few things you need to look for on a Duc. Find out service history, specifically you need to know when the last oil change, valve adjustment, and belts were done. Ducs need 6k valves, and 12k or two years on the belts. This is mandatory, do not skip them. If the seller does not know, consider it time now for this. You can do it yourself, and don't need to pay a shop if you are mechanically inclined.

Name
    Lee
    Bike(s)
    '07 Yamaha FZ6
    When you say 6 and 12k, that means those parts need to be replaced at those mileages? As in every 6 and 12 thousand miles? And my budget is in the 4-6.5k range.
    Tk

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    CB1100 coolest bike i've ever owned!
    get you an SV650 and worry about something else besides your bike breaking down

Name
    Tom
    Bike(s)
    BMW R1150R, 749RSE
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgl3 View Post
    get you an SV650 and worry about something else besides your bike breaking down
    Ducs are very reliable. I would take my ST2 to california tomorrow is needed.

Yes, you do have to do some maintenance, but not repair! Belts are done at 12K miles, and valve adjustments every 6K miles. Again, the belts can be done in 30 minutes, by yourself. The valves can be done in a few hours on the 2 valvers. With your budget, you can absolutely get an S2R, or any of the larger 2valve bikes.

Name
    Lee
    Bike(s)
    '07 Yamaha FZ6
    I'll look into the S2R. I havent been thinking about something as new a the S2R but if it fits my price range, awesome. I assume how to do all that maintenance myself is online somewhere.

Name
    Tom
    Bike(s)
    BMW R1150R, 749RSE
    Check out Ducati.ms. Its a great forum for all things Duc, and theres a for sale section, and monster specific section too. Also, searchtempest.com is a national craigslist search engine. You can locate some great deals in places you wouldn't normally look.

Bike(s)
    SV
    If you're living at Tech, you can go ahead and kiss that bike goodbye.

Name
    Tom
    Bike(s)
    BMW R1150R, 749RSE
    Oh yeah, I didn't see that. Make sure its in a garage, locked down, and you have full coverage on it.

Bike(s)
    SV
    I'm going to guess you are under 21 as well. Insurance is going to burn you on any bike. More so with Ducatis.