Rotating banners with links
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Name
    Lee
    Bike(s)
    '07 Yamaha FZ6
    I have a safe place to keep the bike. My house (where i live when im out of school) is only 15 minutes from campus, so storage and security isn't an issue.

Bike(s)
    SV
    Is this going to be a commuter for school as well?

Name
    Lee
    Bike(s)
    '07 Yamaha FZ6
    Not until the spring but most likely, yes. I want to get the ball rolling on getting a bike so that I am comfortable on roads before hitting highways to commute. Like i said, I have a couple years of experience on dirt bikes but my time on roads hasnt been extensive. I love the way a dirt bike feels though and most of the riding I will be doing will be in and around the city hence also the less aggressive riding position (lights, stop signs, etc etc.). What about the SV 650? I have looked into them a little bit but not more than basic research. Do they have easier upkeep than the Duc? is that just generally a better choice for me? (brand loyalty aside)
    Last edited by layres42; 08-28-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Bike(s)
    SV
    The service intervals are longer and parts should be cheaper. Any motorcycle getting a good bit of mileage put on it is going to have a hefty bit of maintenace required with it. That cost can be offset a bit depending on how good of a mechanic you are........problem being that most people bs themselves into beleiving they're a good mechanic.

It's kind of like BMW vs Honda.....one isn't really more reliable than the other, but if you have to call in a expert......BMW is going to hit the wallet heavier.

My advice would be this. Find something more along the lines of a beater. I'm not talking a turd pile held together with duct tape and good thoughts. More along the lines of the style you like and something you can park next to a newer, shinier bike at school (steal this one instead of mine).If it's your first bike, plan on it hitting the pavement.............a couple times.

Ride the wheels off of it and keep the Duc in sight for when you get your degree.

GSB KART CHAMP & 107MPH CLUB MEMBER ramm's Avatar
    Name
    Chris
    Bike(s)
    07 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo® View Post
    The service intervals are longer and parts should be cheaper. Any motorcycle getting a good bit of mileage put on it is going to have a hefty bit of maintenace required with it. That cost can be offset a bit depending on how good of a mechanic you are........problem being that most people bs themselves into beleiving they're a good mechanic.

It's kind of like BMW vs Honda.....one isn't really more reliable than the other, but if you have to call in a expert......BMW is going to hit the wallet heavier.

My advice would be this. Find something more along the lines of a beater. I'm not talking a turd pile held together with duct tape and good thoughts. More along the lines of the style you like and something you can park next to a newer, shinier bike at school (steal this one instead of mine).If it's your first bike, plan on it hitting the pavement.............a couple times.

Ride the wheels off of it and keep the Duc in sight for when you get your degree.
    Agreed.

Get a Jap bike or a bike that parts and knowledge are plentiful and cheap. You're gonna drop it, you're gonna need parts.

Name
    Lee
    Bike(s)
    '07 Yamaha FZ6
    Quote Originally Posted by ramm View Post
    Agreed.

Get a Jap bike or a bike that parts and knowledge are plentiful and cheap. You're gonna drop it, you're gonna need parts.
    I've come to terms with that. I just need a direction to go which is a 7-10 year old bike that has readily available parts and knowledge. Something that I can work on (i assume there are a lot of big differences between my 450 KTM and a 650 street bike). I've found some bikes that i like online for sale in the area that have been laid down once or twice that i can get good deals on. And i have an extremely experienced buddy of mine that can go with me when i go to look at a bike that knows what to look for more so than I.

Bike(s)
    SV
    If you're looking for stuff up to 10 years old, I would think you should have no problem finding something that hasn't been layed down at all.

this is a fable that continues to live on and is simply not true. My friend rode his st4 from atlanta to alaska and back I couple years ago, We also go on an annual ride to the bmw rally and covered 2500 miles in 4 days, no probs.

I've had seven ducs, and the only one I had problems with was a 97 748 which fried a regulator. I'm turing 19000 miles on my streetfighter totally problem free, had 10k on my 996 totally problem free, monsters x2 again no probs.

Monster is a great starting bike and wonderful all round bike as a daily rider, you can also cover fairly long trips on one, certainly 1k mile weekends are not out of the ordinary.

I'd recommend getting a fuel injected monsters, I had both a carb and fuelie and hands down the fi was much easier to live with especially cold weather riding.

Depending on your price a late model 696 or 796 is a great ride, if you go used, consider the 800 ca 2003-4. I'd stick with an air-cooled two valve as opposed to watercooled four valve, maint is significantly cheaper.

Also, fyi, with the material the belts are made with now, you can easily go out to three years between belt changes unless putting a lot of miles on. Also, generally after 18k miles valve typically don't change much on two valves.

The big thing, if you buy used, by one with a service history, that was properly maintained. that' "Great deal" you might find on ebay can turn into a nightmare if it wasn't looked after. The reliability issues in the modern bikes are mainly from poor or lack of maint.

Good luck
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jimgl3 View Post
    get you an SV650 and worry about something else besides your bike breaking down

www.desmotimes.com LT Snyder sells all the different tools to make servicing your bike easier, he also has a great shop manual one for four valves and one for two valves which are very helpful. I took a duc maint seminary from him last April and learned a ton. He has them once a year and limited to about 10 people .

Quote Originally Posted by layres42 View Post
    I'll look into the S2R. I havent been thinking about something as new a the S2R but if it fits my price range, awesome. I assume how to do all that maintenance myself is online somewhere.

Name
    Lee
    Bike(s)
    '07 Yamaha FZ6
    Like I said, I have no brand loyalty (other than KTM) so I don't want to limit myself to the Monster. I just have buddies that recommend them based on second hand hearsay (so I came here!). Regardless, I know what to look for and really appreciate the help.