Rotating banners with links
+ Reply to Thread
    Name
    Dan
    Bike(s)
    Mine: '09 DL650, '08 WR250R / Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L

Maxwell followed us home

At least that is what Sarah said she is naming her new "Little Red Pig".

2013 Honda CRF250L with 600 miles on it. We'll see how she likes it compared to the XT225. She can touch okay with it stock, but we are going to try a "low seat concepts" seat to see if that gets more of her foot down and we can leave the suspension stock.

This thing is uber quiet! :thumbup:

Weeeee weeeeee
    BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
    Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R, 01 FZ1
    Hers: 13 CRF250L, 07 Ninja 650R, 06 F650GS,
    Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

States & Provinces I've ridden in:
    49 states completed between 2006 & 2008

Name
    Dan
    Bike(s)
    GypsyAngel and I just got a chance to go out on the bikes although they were all road miles. Depending on my gear and rev's, Sarah can out pull me with her on the CRF and me on the WRR. The CRF definitely pulls better down low, but the WRR keeps revving when the CRF runs out of steam. I just have to make sure I'm in the right gear when she decides to put on the heat!

There is definitely extra height and weight to the CRF over the XT for Sarah so that will be the true test off road how well she handles it. There is something to be said about being able to get your feet down in tricky situations and be comfortable holding the bike up.

Sarah actually let me switch with her while she rode the WRR and I got to ride the CRF. It's so funny seeing her doing ballerina moves on the WRR. The motor on the CRF is so smooth and quiet and it does pull better down low than the WRR which I think for Sarah's riding style will work better. The CRF cockpit is also more cramped and fits a smaller framed rider better and the seat to peg height is pretty short. Even compared to the WRR, I can feel the extra weight on the CRF. I guess in order to meet that price point, Honda had to skimp somewhere and the more porky bike was the outcome, but its still not terrible. The CRF does have more suspension than the XT and definitely more power and runs smoother when wound out going down the road.

I'm really looking forward to more rides and seeing how she adapts to the bike.

Name
    Dan
    Bike(s)
    Sarah's post

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyAngel View Post
    OK took Maxwell out for about an hour street ride. First impressions:

The engine is smooth...I mean super smooth. Easy roll on, easy shifting, nothing too abrupt but plenty of low power. It does level out around 55mph, you can still go faster, but you have to twist the throttle a bit harder : Oh and no 65mph wobble. Very nice. I'll have to see what tires it has on as the knobbies do walk a smidge in corners. But overall, I am in love with this engine. We may still regear it to get a bit more jump at roll on, but right now, it's awesome. I even rode the WR250 after and have to say, the Honda is smoother. It's like 'Is this thing even running?'. Nice. :thumbup:

Seems to handle turns well, though I felt the rear of my bike was higher than the front. BL got on and felt it was even so,yeah,gotta adjust that rear dampening as it's not for someone 120lbs. May even drop the forks a bit. Hopefully get me closer to the ground. Even with my tall boots I was barely tippy toed. I'm also ordering that low seat as we speak.

The seating position is tight. Much more like a sportbike than a dual sport.Even tighter than the XT. Most is adjustable,the handlebars can be moved up and forward with the help of risers and I thought I read about a lower foot peg that would fit. But this is something to consider as the lower seat will make it even tighter. I stand for 90% of my off road riding,so not sure how much this will actually affect me.Time will tell.

And yes,this bike is porky. Heavier than the XT and the WRR. On the street,it's not much of an issue. We'll have to see if this helps or hinders me off road. Sometimes a lighter bike will be more prone to the rear breaking loose on loose terrain like gravel. May also look at some weight shaving alternatives. The exhaust alone weighs in at 13lbs.

So far I really like this bike. The super smooth engine over shines any of the other faults thus far. The dash is nice and easy to read and having a fuel gauge is a nice perk. Not sure my gas mileage as I only just filled it up..Stay Tuned for more 'Short Attention Span Theater' starring :Maxwell the Lil Red Pig
    Last edited by BlueLghtning; 02-23-2013 at 07:45 PM.