Rotating banners with links
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
    Bike(s)
    04 sv650s
    I know this is a bit old, but someone else with the same problem may read this so....

Look in the owners manual for the bike, if it came with one (mine was stored under the pillion seat). There is a key code that you might need, and it might be printed in the owners manual, or the previous owner may have hand-written it into the manual. If you call up Yamaha with that key number, they can likely make you one and send it, or your local locksmith or dealer (if they cut keys - mine doesn't) can call them and get the necessary info to create a new one.

Needless to say, once it is re-keyed, get a few copies made. When I bought my bike it came with 1 key. Rather than buy a blank at a dealer for $10 and then go to a locksmith to get a copy made for another few bucks to $10, I got some blanks on eBay for my make/model/year. I got a pair, shipped from Hong Kong, for a total of $2.50. They look really nice, and I got them cut at my local Ace Hardware for less than $2 each (Home Depot couldn't cut the double-sided keys). Mine does not have a microchip in the key, so that helps.

The original stays at home in a drawer along with a spare (one of the new cut keys), and I use the other of the new cut keys.

Squid
    Haha.. Sorry guys I haven't had the time to update on here lately. I found a locksmith who was mobile that rekeyed for $120. The best price compared to $185 which is the normal rate... Bike running well
    2008 Yamaha R1 Raven | Two Brother | Custom LEDs | PC3 | Sliders

Squid
    If anyone needs/wants his contact- let me know!.
    2008 Yamaha R1 Raven | Two Brother | Custom LEDs | PC3 | Sliders

Bike(s)
    Yamahas
    Ouch. For that much, you could have just about bought an entire lock set (including the upper triple).

Glad you got it sorted out.