+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Name
    Chris
    Bike(s)
    13 Ninja 300 SE

Picked up my new bike yesterday

So I am freaking stoked because I picked up my Ninja 300 yesterday! It has been a few years since I have been on a bike but after a few trips around the neighborhood my MSF lessons are coming back to me. The bike doesn't have a gear position indicator so I'm wondering should I get an aftermarket one. I may be crazy but I plan on riding as long as it isn't raining! Screw the cold lol

My question is will remembering what gear i'm in/should be in come with more seat time? Is there a trick you more experienced guys use to keep track?

Who knows
    Bike(s)
    S1000rr
    Congrats on the new bike. Those 300's are great bikes. As for the gear indicator you will find that with more seat time and miles you should have an easier time knowing what gear you should be and are in.

Ltyson
    STT SOUTHERN REGION STAFF
    www.sportbiketracktime.com

GSB KART CHAMP & 107MPH CLUB MEMBER ramm's Avatar
    Name
    Chris
    Bike(s)
    07 R6
    I got to ride a 300 at Barber earlier this year, what a bad ass fun little bike! I want one so bad!

Formally GAtegs
    I never know what gear I am in LOL. Congrats.

Name
    Chris
    Bike(s)
    13 Ninja 300 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by ramm View Post
    I got to ride a 300 at Barber earlier this year, what a bad ass fun little bike! I want one so bad!
    Its been great so far. This is my first bike other than the 250 Rebel I learned on

Quote Originally Posted by CougarJackson View Post
    I never know what gear I am in LOL. Congrats.
    That's very encouraging lol

Formally GAtegs
    I've just never heard of someone needing to know what gear they are in, LOL. Either your RPMs are high enough to make twisting your wrist effective or your RPMs are low enough that you should kick it down a notch or 2.

Is this common?

Bike(s)
    06 Kawasaki 636
    Congrats on the new bike. The only time you need to know what gear you are in is 1st and 6th and you'll find that out pretty easy when you stop or are topping it out.

Otherwise just worry about your rpms. With seat time you'll begin to know what gear you are in just by how it reacts with a twist of the wrist. I do still on occasion try to up shift In 6th and I always double tap to be certain I'm in 1st.

Anyway get out there and have fun! I wish I could

Name
    Jin
    Bike(s)
    2006 Triumph 675 & 2009 GSX-R 750
    Awesome! Congratulations on purchasing an AMAZING bike.

I'm sure after you get used to your new bike, the RPMs and speed will indicate what gear you're in. Its usually 'feel' for me.

Make sure you wave if you see a green 10R. I may have track fairings with removable lights so I will be easy to spot!

Safe riding and feel free to PM me if you need help with anything. I generally have everything to do basic work on a bike.

Name
    Randy
    Bike(s)
    ''09 Concours 14 ABS and '08 KLR 650
    Congrats on the new bike! I agree with the rest but I'm sure someone makes a gear indicator for it if you really want one.

Click here--->https://www.google.com/#q=ninja+300+gear+indicator
    Google is your friend.

Bike(s)
    SV1000 track only 2007 Factory Tuono Commuter 2009 BMW 450x off road
    I actually have a sticker (used a label maker) 4,500 / 45 / 3rd 4,500 / 65 / 6th
    just having those two stats on a label (sort of hidden in my tuono fairing) visible to me as I am riding is all I need.

However if I had a OEM plug an play option I would like a gear indictor. I had them on my BMW street bikes and liked them. I somewhat miss it on my Tuono. That link to google seemed like a nice option. It would look OEM and be a "nice to have". Sort of like heated grips, in Atlanta I use them about 20 times a year, but when I need them it is nice. :-)