Rotating banners with links
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Who has heated gear and what are you using? Pro's and con's please. Was looking to start with the controllers and buy the gear over the summer and be ready for next winter.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...e-heat-troller

Though I would start with this.

Name
    Randy
    Bike(s)
    ''09 Concours 14 ABS and '08 KLR 650
    FYI the Freeze Out stuff at Cycle Gear is on sale right now. save up to 80%

Squid
    Name
    Gary
    Bike(s)
    2002 Suzuki Katana
    I went riding on Monday two weeks ago. Was about 60 here in Armuchee. Rode about two hours. I can't wait until Spring. I ride every chance I get.

Bike(s)
    Yamahas
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne13 View Post
    Who has heated gear and what are you using? Pro's and con's please. Was looking to start with the controllers and buy the gear over the summer and be ready for next winter.
    I have been commuting on the bike 96% of the time for the past 2 years. Since I knew that I would have to ride it all winter, i got some heated gear about a year and half ago.

On a scale of 1-10 for effectiveness, I would give the Gerbing gear heated jacket and gloves an 8.5 or 9. It greatly extends the temperature range in which it will be comfortable to ride your bike.

Last year, a former coworker saw my heated gear and decided to purchase some for herself for her weekend group rides. She got the FirstGear brand. About 10 months later she got rid of it and replaced it with Gerbing brand.

If you have the money, then it is a nice accessory to have. The investment is substantial, though. Gloves, jacket, and dual temperature controller will run you approximately $450-$550. Even so, if I knew years ago what I know now then I would have bought heated gear a long time ago

Bike(s)
    SV1000 track only 2007 Factory Tuono Commuter 2009 BMW 450x off road
    I also have garbing gear. My gear is older, all made in the USA. Gerbing made some changes. USA, CHINA, back to USA. The move to China had some issues, and the move back to the USA had some issues. From what I have heard & read, the quality now seems to be back up for Gerbing. I have heard and had recommendation for the powerlet heated gear. My problem is I am 6_5 250lbs. And despite what people may say an XXXL is NOT the same as a Tall XXL. Gerbing use to sell Tall size gear so that was my reason for buying from them. I am not sure any of the heated gear manufactures make Tall sizes anymore. But I have not checked in a long time. I bought my gear about 7 years ago, and as little as we need it in the south, I expect it to last another 7 years.

As noted above if you can afford it, WORTH every dollar it costs, for the comfort it provides. I tell most cage drivers at my office, "I am warmer than you are for the first 10 minutes of your commute. My heat is instant, no waiting for the car to warm up"
    Last edited by rdecae; 02-04-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne13 View Post

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...e-heat-troller

Though I would start with this.
    For less than $200 this suit will keep you comfortable and dry into the low 40's with just jeans and t-shirt under it. With thermal underwear it should be good into the 20's.

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...mpaign=2013101
    Darrell

"There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull
    fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely
    games."
    Ernest Hemingway

Got out for a ride today and it was great! ran up 129 to RBR to 75 and back to riders hill then home. The new suit kept me nice and warm the whole time.
    Darrell

"There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull
    fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely
    games."
    Ernest Hemingway

Bike(s)
    XL1200R
    Hi
    Saw a Gerbing heated jacket at the Woodstock Goodwill yesterday, size L (my guess). Older large wire one. No controller.
    Also saw a ADV Rain jacket (very heavy duty) there. $5 each.

see ya
    bill
    Still kickin.

Bike(s)
    Honda Spree
    Dude I need deals like those down near me

Bike(s)
    XL1200R
    Quote Originally Posted by dep411 View Post
    Dude I need deals like those down near me
    HI,
    I did not purchase the gear, just saw it.... sorry, should have been more clear...

see ya
    bill
    Still kickin.