Rotating banners with links
+ Reply to Thread

The future of Motorcycling in America??

I have read a couple of articles lately that got me to wondering about what is going with motorcycles in this country. Plus while commuting to work the other day in Atlanta (a 75 mile commute through downtown from west side to Stone Mountain) I only seen two other bikes and one of which was little scooter. Not much else to do while riding besides watching out for soccer moms that are trying to run you over and people texting which will not know that they ran you over. So I am thinking, why is there so few bikes on the road?

Why??? I am having fun even in the crap that is an Atlanta commute on I 20 and I 285. Maybe I am the only person that thinks this is fun. But no, why do so many people say they wish they had a bike? You have all heard the excuses, dont have the time, people and soccer mom's are out to assassinate you when you are on a bike, cant afford a bike and a car, wife will not let me, too scared, and can not find the bike that I really want to ride because I need a 350+HP turbo charged stretched Harley GSX2398R limited RR custom that will corner like it is on rails with bluetooth and a six disk CD changer.

So it makes me wonder, why is there no marketing campaign by the major motorcycle manufacturers other than HD. The only ad's that I see is during a motorcycle race. Why not hit prime time with it? Why is the big 4 and European makers not trying to get into the American market? Show the gas savings, the relief on traffic, and hell what we all like the fun. I dont think they need to make a campaign of marketing sportbikes with a bunch of Rossi wanna be's out trying to carve canyons in the triple digits. But show what we, as riders, know to be true. Bikes are fun!!

The other thing that I wondered about is where is the AMA in the American motorcycle scene now. Are they not supposed to be promoting riding and rider education along with legislative efforts? I looked on the AMA website and in Georgia they have only two dealers listed as partners. I dont think I have ever heard a new rider being directed to join the AMA. If I was running the AMA, I would offer a trail membership when you purchased a bike (any bike) to try to get membership up. When you have enough people saying the same thing, the people that make the laws tend to listen to them. The AMA's website list their membership as 215,000. My math sucks but that is a low percentage of the population of the 360 million in the US. Is this because AMA is not marketing itself? Or is it because this reflects on the numbers of Americans that ride?

I dont know all the answers but I know the questions which is half the battle.
    I guess I have too long of a commute some days. Maybe I should just put my mind in neutral like the rest of the commuters in the ATL. Or better yet I can keep on looking at the blond in the mini van screaming at her kids while texting in one hand and trying to eat breakfast with the other hand.

Remember to watch your six and have fun!!!

Name
    Scott
    Bike(s)
    Bmw K1200 GT, LOOK 566
    and now........the rest of the story

Quote Originally Posted by shnyhed View Post
    and now........the rest of the story
    Yes Paul harvey.

Maybe I am the only person that feels this way.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    05 ZX6R
    Wayne, the motorcycle bidnez is indeed curious, and I gave up trying to figure it out long ago.

There are quite a few ads I can recall, but, understandably, the majority air during the Spring/early Summer months. It also seems the OEM's tend to target broad-audience programming, not necessarily sports or other male-orientated channels. Not saying they couldn't do a better job, and I would be happy to make suggestions to them also, but I eventually wind up at my initial statement.

AMA is way too political for my taste, and they hardly seem relevent any more. Membership money seems to be earmarked more for their lobbyists, rather than doing any actual promotion of motorcycling.

Bike(s)
    2004 Kawasaki ZX-6 ZZR
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    you better keep watching her, she's the reason a lot of peeps dont ride in the shit traffic. She's gonna kill you one day and wont even know she did it.
    I know this is an other topic, but...

There's a lot of truth to that. I only ride about once a week, because people drive so carelessly in the area where my office is. I'd much rather wait until the weekend comes and head out on to some country roads on my ZZR.

I've found that the people who really want to ride, do. Other people make excuses.

Senior Member The Lazy Destroyer's Avatar
    Name
    Blake
    Bike(s)
    '03 GSXR-600, '05 GSXR-750, '01 SV-650
    I ride every day, rain or shine (unless it is full-on storming). I enjoy it every day but it is a serious game. 99% of the time I have rides into work that are just fine. But today, for example, I had a guy tailgate me at probably 4-5 ft, swerving back and forth, all in traffic going 5-10 mph. We're stacked up and this guy is all over me like I can go faster. I'm giving the car in front of me 2-3 car lengths and he flips me off as he gets into his right turn lane, yelling calling me a "****ing asshole". wtf?! I mean how much of a rush can you really be in? And his window was up when he was behind me, he went out of his way to roll his window down just to be an unnecessary dick.

I see people on their phones so much it is concerning. I don't even need to see them swerving, the glances down every 3-4 seconds is obvious. Needing me to notify them when the light turns green. Blocking their view when they change lanes (without a signal) because they're too lazy to use a hands-free.

It is pretty clear how easy it is to get killed out there in rush hour traffic. It is so bad I honestly do not want to live here in this area anymore.

There is no way anyone else could love riding more than how much I love riding but sometimes I feel it will be the death of me. To be honest and blunt. I wouldn't ever fault anyone for being a fair weather rider, to me it's perfectly acceptable to just say "drivers are too retarded" as an excuse not to ride. A lot of drivers out there do not pay attention, and unless something major changes with cell phone use in cars, it will only get worse.

Go to the UK and bikes are everywhere. Not here, and I don't expect anything to change. They are seen and marketed as "toys" and not a serious mode of transportation. What little respect we get from drivers gets flushed down when those cars get passed by the squids riding wheelies at 120mph or the f'in Harleys with straight pipes. You'd be fooling yourself if you think the general public can differentiate between them and you.

I don't see it changing here, ever. Until then, just keep riding/surviving and drive the car if you feel that's the better option.