Rotating banners with links
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: age of tires

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    CB1100 coolest bike i've ever owned!

age of tires

i recently sold my track bike and lots of spares with it, including a set of pretty old rain tires. i had tried to sell the rain tires a couple times with no luck, but wasn't pushing them because they were pretty old. manufacture dates were like 07... now i find out that Chris Blue went from 13th to 1st on them at tally before they wore out and he lost a place or two. i did take care of them, but just goes to show that tires don't necessarily go to sh*t because of age. they were conti rain attacks btw.

Bike(s)
    nuttin
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgl3 View Post
    i recently sold my track bike and lots of spares with it, including a set of pretty old rain tires. i had tried to sell the rain tires a couple times with no luck, but wasn't pushing them because they were pretty old. manufacture dates were like 07... now i find out that Chris Blue went from 13th to 1st on them at tally before they wore out and he lost a place or two. i did take care of them, but just goes to show that tires don't necessarily go to sh*t because of age. they were conti rain attacks btw.
    Yeah, right..... pictures or it did not happen!!!
    hahahhaa
    see ya
    bill
    Still kickin.

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    did not realize i made a comparison

just putting information out there

a square is a rectangle

a square has 4 equal sides

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    ah! got it. for sure.

Senior Member The Lazy Destroyer's Avatar
    Name
    Blake
    Bike(s)
    '03 GSXR-600, '05 GSXR-750, '01 SV-650
    Quote Originally Posted by banderso View Post
    Yeah, right..... pictures or it did not happen!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgl3 View Post
    Ok here you go:

Bike(s)
    nuttin
    Purty pic, for sure!
    see ya
    bill
    Still kickin.

Name
    Jeff
    Bike(s)
    97 Road King, 08 CBR1000rr, 07 KTM 450 XC, 09 Kawi KLX140L, 07 KTM 950 SE-R
    rain tire definitely have degraded performance after a certain amount of time. Typically at a top level rider, they won't use a rain tire that's more than a year or two old. the softer the rubber, the quicker the performance changes as it ages. the rain tires are by far the softest tires out there. Not to say you can't use them and even win races with older tires, it's been done many times, but you are not getting nearly the performance of the tire. I have a 10 year old rain tire in the basement that was waiting on a supermoto build that never happened. given the age I could ride it all day and not see the issues you have with a rain tire on dry pavement. it's just gotten really hard.

you will still see big advantages just by having the rain tire pattern, but you will not have the outright wet grip of a new set. in the rain with a set of new rain tires, it's not that hard to get your knee down in the rain. First time I used rain tires was at an endurance race at VIR. stupid fun. both my team mate and I each crashed once, one time causing a red flag, and still finished 4th in our class (yes there were more than 4 in the class, this was back in the day of full grids at WERA endurance races). I think out of the 30+ teams racing that day, only about 8 or 9 of them didn't crash at some point. it was crazy with multiple bikes down each lap it seemed. good fun.