Rotating banners with links
+ Reply to Thread
    Bike(s)
    2006 ZX-10R

Mechanical question for the more experienced than myself

Picked up a used zx-10 and the main issue I've been having with it that I can't seem to get rid of is sputtering on acceleration mainly in first, sometimes second. It's in the very low RPM's only and once you get going, (above 3-4k) it goes away. Initially thought it was bad gas. Went thru a few tanks. No change. I've done lots of maintenance to it. Still having that issue.
    List of things I've tried so far:
    New oil and filter
    Recharged and cleaned aftermarket air filter
    Replaced spark plugs (big difference in low end torque when replaced)
    Replaced fuel filter (old one was super clogged. Also big difference in acceleration once replaced)
    Removed and cleaned fuel injectors and throttle bodies
    Double and triple checked that the fuel line was not kinked in any way.

The bike has a PCV with a base map from the power commander website installed. (Bike has akrapovic slip on's)
    The exhaust butterfly valve was disabled. I reconnected it and it is operational.
    I did a fuel pressure test and it is within spec per the kawasaki service manual.

I looked around on the kawi forums and seen this issue but no real fixes as even tho others had the exact same issue, there was no one main fix. It was either one thing or the other that was corrected.

Any ideas? I know its a lot of info but I'm trying to paint as complete of a picture as I can. Maybe someone can think of something I didn't.

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    CB1100 coolest bike i've ever owned!
    i don't know that much about pcv, but i'd try a different map if it's not difficult to switch them out, because my first thought before i read you had a pcv was the ecu ignition timing, as it is retarded in first and second gear a lot of times

Bike(s)
    2006 ZX-10R
    I have about 3-4 different maps that I've tried. All from other zx-10's my year with tunes and similar modifications. Nothing helped the hesitation. I picked up a can of seafoam from advance, poured 4oz in the gas tank and let idle for about 30 minutes and blipped the throttle a few times and the hesitation is gone! Strangest thing. All that I tried and the seafoam did the trick! I put some in the crankcase as well. I put it in on 5/2/17 and to this date after about 300 miles, no more hesitation at all. Runs like a top now.

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    CB1100 coolest bike i've ever owned!
    Kool !