Rotating banners with links
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Leading the way... New Jersey?

http://thehill.com/opinion/columnist...ts-tone-for-us

The meat of the article:

As the United States watches a debt crisis in Greece like a fiscal oil spill, waiting to see where it will spread first and when it will make landfall on our shores, Christie is tackling the nation’s worst state deficit — $10.7 billion of a $29.3 billion budget. In doing so, Christie has become the politician so many Americans crave, one willing to lose his job. Indeed, Christie is doing something unheard of: governing as a Republican in a blue state, just as he campaigned, making good on promises, acting like his last election is behind him.

Upon taking office Christie declared a state of emergency, signing an executive order that froze spending, and then, in eight weeks, cutting $13 billion in spending. In March he presented to the Legislature his first budget, which cuts 9 percent of spending, including more than $800 million in education funding; seeks to privatize numerous government functions; projects 1,300 layoffs; and caps tax increases.
    The part that pisses me off:

Teachers unions are incensed, fighting Christie’s proposal that — in order to avoid cuts to education — teachers accept a one-year wage freeze and contribute 1.5 percent to the generous-by-every-standard healthcare plans they now enjoy for free. New Jersey, which has the highest unemployment in the region and highest taxes in the country, lost 121,000 jobs in the private sector in 2009 while adding 11,300 new education jobs. During the last eight years, K-12 enrollment rose just 3 percent while education jobs increased more than 16 percent. According to the Newark Star-Ledger, during the recession that has cost many residents their homes and jobs and scaled back hours and pay for the employed, teachers’ salaries rose by nearly 5 percent, double the rate of inflation.
    If you pay people to be poor you will never run out of poor people. ~Jector

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people. ~V

Yeah, that's not on.

I understand not wanting to get a pay cut, but these are tough times. And I'm normally for spending money on education. Now if Christie is keeping the Hookers for Statesmen fund while cutting education, that would be another matter.

Name
    Laz
    Bike(s)
    08 600RR
    Whats the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Whats the problem?
    I am going to have to ask you to narrow your question.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people. ~V

Name
    Laz
    Bike(s)
    08 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by impalanar View Post
    The part that pisses me off:

Teachers unions are incensed, fighting Christie’s proposal that — in order to avoid cuts to education — teachers accept a one-year wage freeze and contribute 1.5 percent to the generous-by-every-standard healthcare plans they now enjoy for free. New Jersey, which has the highest unemployment in the region and highest taxes in the country, lost 121,000 jobs in the private sector in 2009 while adding 11,300 new education jobs. During the last eight years, K-12 enrollment rose just 3 percent while education jobs increased more than 16 percent. According to the Newark Star-Ledger, during the recession that has cost many residents their homes and jobs and scaled back hours and pay for the employed, teachers’ salaries rose by nearly 5 percent, double the rate of inflation.
    Why does this piss you off?

Why does this piss you off?
    Seriously? If it doesn't bother you, I am not even sure where to begin. Let's see, what amounts to at most a 1.5% pay cut (actually less, they would contribute 1.5% to their benefits, not 1.5% of their salary) to prevent cuts to education in a state that is floundering is too much? It just goes to show that teachers unions don't really care about education. People want to talk about Corporations being evil, when really they should start with those people. And that is without even getting into their raise from last year.

Name
    Laz
    Bike(s)
    08 600RR
    My wife was a NJ teacher so you get a big FU from me.

My wife was a NJ teacher so you get a big FU from me.
    Why? Your wife was a teacher, does that mean you get to suspend the concept of right and wrong? Did I say something bad about teachers? No, I said teachers unions. So, FO unless you have something real to add to the debate.

Name
    Laz
    Bike(s)
    08 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by impalanar View Post
    Why? Your wife was a teacher, does that mean you get to suspend the concept of right and wrong? Did I say something bad about teachers? No, I said teachers unions. So, FO unless you have something real to add to the debate.
    My point is unless you aren't a NJ teacher so how can you comment on something you know nothing about? The union fights for the teachers. They have regulations, laws whatever it is you want to call it to protect teachers from things like layoffs, unfair terminations, etc. They ensure they get raises, benefits, etc.

Comparing the massive lay offs of GA teachers, who do not have union, to NJ who some districts are laying teachers off but not nearly as many I would say that being a teacher that is under a union and that have a little more protection and job security is a good thing. If you were a teacher I'm sure you would agree with me. Thats my point.

protect teachers from things like layoffs, unfair terminations, etc. They ensure they get raises, benefits, etc.
    I never post in here (or much ever for that matter) but this is why I hate unions. If I can deal w/ 15% paycut and no raise for 3yrs, I think the union can manage a salary freeze for a year or two. But this is one of those things that is wrong with this country... everyone thinks they are entitled to all of their benefits, their job, ect regardless of anyone else.