Rotating banners with links
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    A number of years ago, when Castrol Jaguar was running the GTP cars at Road A, they were practicing the day before the pits opened for the GNF. We talked with Tom Walkinshaw and asked him about the car times vs top speed. The fastest superbikes were doing about 170mph back then with the old Road A configuration. Davey Jones was driving for Jag and doing roughly 1:15 lap times. He'd come out from under the bridge and it didn't look like he shut off for turn one. Top speed was about the same as the fastest bikes, but he was cutting well over 10 seconds a lap off the best bike times of the day- all through faster cornering speed.
    Mark Klein
    A.k.a. MX Tuner
    Hyperformance Cycles
    www.hyperformancecycles.net

Name
    tom
    Bike(s)
    this that and the other
    Quote Originally Posted by MX Tuner View Post
    A number of years ago, when Castrol Jaguar was running the GTP cars at Road A, they were practicing the day before the pits opened for the GNF. We talked with Tom Walkinshaw and asked him about the car times vs top speed.
    I guess you know that Tom Walkinshaw just lost his battle with cancer. He was only 64.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=396353#
    Last edited by roadkill; 01-02-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    I guess you know that Tom Walkinshaw just lost his battle with cancer. He was only 64.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=396353#
    No, I didn't!
    Mark Klein
    A.k.a. MX Tuner
    Hyperformance Cycles
    www.hyperformancecycles.net

Super RICH Moderator
    wow - I hadn't heard that either...

Bike(s)
    jap pos
    Quote Originally Posted by KTM Rider View Post
    didnt watch the vids. didnt have to. having owned numerous liter bikes and plenty of fast cars and knowing how to operate both rather proficiently, i can tell you without a doubt that with the same mods to each, sticky rubber, suspension tuning, and brake upgrades, the car would be very competitive against a sportbike on most tracks. some tracks would favor each due to their layouts but overall the comparison would be very close. as for taking a stock production car to the track....well that is just about as silly as racing cars on the street isnt it? taking things and attempting to use them in a way they werent designed and risking your own safety to do so. i sure wouldnt hop on a track on a GSXR on street tires and try to turn some hot laps. the stock setup is made for folks like you to drive it to starbucks. so really each vehicle would need some mods to operate it on the track safely. once that happens, you would be surprised just how well a car can go around a racetrack. btw....one jackass cant prove another jackass wrong on the internet fyi proving things to be true or not involves actually doing them.

i am the smartest moron you will ever meet

i have only changed 3 heater cores. 2 in mustangs and 1 in a CJ7.
    i did YOUR wife last night.............left a stain on YOUR pillow.sweet dreams dreamer