Rotating banners with links
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
    Bike(s)
    2004 Honda Superchicken

Motorcycle checkpoints?

http://americanlibertyriders.ning.co...st-against-the

check this out everyone. If this is coming up, then people should show up to protest this god awful waste of tax payer money.

Seca
    I am sure that will help....

so we may arrive in force and shake the wall and rattle the windows as our anger flows through our pipes.

Name
    Krisitn
    Bike(s)
    gsxr600
    Heard about this...as part of a bike week thing and we entered florida via 75...no check points at all...

Bike(s)
    07 CBR 1000RR, 09 Can Am Spyder RS
    I too went to bike week, did not hit any checkpoints

Bike(s)
    2007 Triumph Daytona 675
    So the outrage is because they plan to stop some bikes to make sure people have tags, insurance and stuff?

They do occasionally do this with cars, correct? Are there car clubs that march and protest?

The problem is probably that half those guys have never bothered to get a license, some may not have insurance, and the majority of them are probably wearing those salad bowls that don't have the DOT sticker... Of course they are gonna be upset.

I am not supporting of harassing bikers, but I don't know that having a couple traffic stops is harrassment. We make trucks stop and check in at certain points. I see cops pulling over dump trucks and checking their weight, etc...

Is this really such a big deal? Am I missing something?

You drive in, they check your license and insurance card, make sure the tag is legit and verify that you are wearing a helmet, and send you on your way, right?

Bike(s)
    1999 BMW K1200LT, 2001 Aprilia Falco, 2008 Ninja 250R and a whole slew of dirtbikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    So the outrage is because they plan to stop some bikes to make sure people have tags, insurance and stuff?

They do occasionally do this with cars, correct? Are there car clubs that march and protest?

The problem is probably that half those guys have never bothered to get a license, some may not have insurance, and the majority of them are probably wearing those salad bowls that don't have the DOT sticker... Of course they are gonna be upset.

I am not supporting of harassing bikers, but I don't know that having a couple traffic stops is harrassment. We make trucks stop and check in at certain points. I see cops pulling over dump trucks and checking their weight, etc...

Is this really such a big deal? Am I missing something?

You drive in, they check your license and insurance card, make sure the tag is legit and verify that you are wearing a helmet, and send you on your way, right?
    Yes, when they stop trucks and dump trucks, they're checking commercial vehicles that are regulated by several national organizations. Motorcycles are not and are no different then cars. When they do DUI checks, safety checks (license and insurance), etc they have a very systematic plan to insure that it is legal...stopping every vehicle or every "N"th vehicle. This is profiling, which they say is not legal. At least, I don't see how it can be legal on the interstate but not at the airport. If they were doing a helmet check, then they could watch as people cross into Georgia, as Ga law doesn't state that a helmet has to be DOT legal.

I figured you'd be against it too since you're a "loud pipes save lives" type of guy and they could very well have a "sound check" station where they measured noise and compared it to the local noise ordinance laws.

Bike(s)
    09 zx6r
    What he said only checking bikes is equivalent to only only asking Hispanic people for proof of citizenship to get a job

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Bike(s)
    Triumph Daytona 675
    if all your insurance and tags are up to date and you arent breaking the law, what is the big deal. just go through and be on your way.

Name
    Laz
    Bike(s)
    08 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by louie3 View Post
    if all your insurance and tags are up to date and you arent breaking the law, what is the big deal. just go through and be on your way.
    If only it were that simple. They use the license and insurance as a guise for stopping motorcycles. There are drivers out there without insurance and licenses but are they stopping them? No. They are profiling motorcycles for the same reason they profiled minorities in the past, to see what else they can get you for. Aftermarket exhaust, improper tag placement, tires worn below wear marker, etc.
    Yoshimura / Speigler / Puig / ASV / Motul / PitBull / Woodcraft / Vortex / Vesrah / Michelin / K&N / Teknic / Alpinestar / Optimal Racing / Marietta Motorsports / Swagga Race Team

Bike(s)
    2007 Triumph Daytona 675
    Quote Originally Posted by speed-kills View Post
    What he said only checking bikes is equivalent to only only asking Hispanic people for proof of citizenship to get a job

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    But if Hispanics make up 91% of the illegal immigrants in the US, doesn't it make sense to ask them? Does it make sense to ask the Hispanic that speaks broken English, or the white guy with the Long Island accent? LOL