Rotating banners with links
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Yeah, don't fall for the KTM hype. The two strokes and a lot of the single cam four strokes are pretty bulletproof but they can be pricey to maintain. They make some very good bikes but so do the Japs along with some other Euros. There are a lot of people under the misconception KTM's are superior to everything else out there. They have their quirks just like every other bike on the planet. That being said, the KTM 200 or 250 two strokes are a couple I'd seriously consider. I'd shy away from any twin cam KTM's. They can have reliability issues. There are some very good buys on used bikes. But whatever you do, have a used bike checked out by someone who knows dirt bikes.

Also, you have to be extremely careful buying any brand used water cooled four stroke. They have amazing performance but it comes at a price- that price is increased maintenance costs. A Jap two stroke typically cost half as much to rebuild when (not if) it comes time.

A Kawasaki KDX 200 or 220 are extremely reliable bikes. But since they quit making them a few years ago, you can find them that are pretty worn and/or neglected. That translates into increased costs trying to bring a used bike up to reliable status.
    Mark Klein
    A.k.a. MX Tuner
    Hyperformance Cycles
    www.hyperformancecycles.net

Name
    Frank
    Bike(s)
    Yuppie Machine
    Dude....KTMs ARE the best
    The average response time of a 911 call is over 3 minutes....the response time of a .45 ACP is 880 feet per second.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan43 View Post
    Screw you and all your Obama nuthugging asshat comrades.
    Kiss my ass. I am not your "boy" you silly shit.

Bike(s)
    2011 Hayabusa, 2004 Yamaha WR450F
    Quote Originally Posted by MX Tuner View Post
    When it comes to street riders taking up dirt bikes- the most common (and bordering on comical) mistake is watching the street bike guy move his body weight from side to side. A dirt bike requires completely opposite body language (weighting the outside peg in a corner helps on a dirt bike) as well as needing you to move forwards and backwards more than you ever did on a street bike. For a dirt bike to turn well, you need to get the majority of your body weight over the front end to get the front end to bite. Keep your upper torso over the bars- they have seat all the way up to the gas cap for a reason- use it!
    That's the truth! First dirt outing on my WR450 (I can't seem to do anything small.) I'd get into a rythym and forget what I was sitting on. Dig into a corner leaning into the turn, the front wheel would get goofy in the rut, slam to the lock and down I'd go. Didn't take long to change that habit.

Squid
    Bike(s)
    2007 Versys, 2005 GS500, 2007 KTM 250xcw, 2007 Kawi KX250F, 1986 Honda Spree
    Yamaha is having a demo day for all of their 2011 dirt bikes this weekend at Durhamtown near Union Point, GA. Maybe you could get two days of dirt in this weekend.

We headed out to Highland Park yesterday morning, little Raptor 250 in tow. Arrived a little early, they open at 9am but we enjoyed the peaceful surroundings and cool weather over breakfast. Checked in, they went over everything. They were super friendly, eager to help and explained everything in detail. Got boots, rental bike (KTM 200XC) and discussed the map and a few trails and off we went. I took a few laps around the parking lot, just to familiarize myself with the KTM. Bike felt great, I kept wanting to grab the front brake and tried to really focus on slow maneuvering and using the rear brake.

Around 9:30am we hit the inner loop for a first go around. We rode at our pace (read slow) and hugging the right shoulder to let faster riders by, which there were a few. It was my girlfriends first time riding up and down hills with the Raptor, she did great! We didn't go too fast, kept a good pace and it was an absolute blast. The hill decent at the end of loop was very intimidating at first, I grabbed the front brake and realized my mistake immediately. Didn't go down once but had that one "pucker up" moment. I haven't been on a dirt bike since 2000, 11 years! Even back then we rode on mostly in flat field, building our own little ramps to get some very minor air. Did the outer loop two more times, taking breaks in-between in the parking area. Headed over to the office for a burger ($2) and hotdog ($1), basic but delicious and can't beat it at those prices. Also chatted with the staff about the trails.

After lunch we did the inner loop, trail #5, #9 and #2. Trail #2 is rated a 2diamond, I beg to differ about its rating. It caught us off guard, it has a lot of down hill, hair pin and back up hill parts (massive loose rocks everywhere). We made it through at our pace, it was a blast but just a little unexpected. We did like the challenge but we might want to work our way up to higher rated trails.

Overall we did the inner loop six times, first three times by itself and the last three times with some of the easier trails. My girlfriend did great, stalled once due to being in the incorrect gear (she lost count, haha), I was uber proud of her and she had a blast. She loved trail #5 but wanted to try the outer loop right before we left. My butt was killing me, it still hurts right now, haha. So I chickened out and said we'll come back another day to continue the fun. We also enjoyed watching the guys riding the MX track and the kids on the peewee track.

As for buying a bike, I am undecided. I loved riding the KTM however I 'm considering purchasing a four-wheeler as well now over a dirt-bike. I don't see my girlfriend getting on a dirt bike (ever), she loves the Raptor (4 wheels) thus my considering a quad as well. Figuring I can always rent a bike at Highland park to scratch the dirt bike itch but I can ride the quad easily/enjoyably with my girlfriend.

Anyone have any recommendations on quads?
    How about places to ride quads? MotoMountain, Durhamtown... the place in Macon?
    Last edited by robb86; 10-24-2011 at 10:02 AM.
    Elegante Surfaces, LLC
    Custom Granite, Marble & Quartz Counter-tops.

'10 SVT RAPTOR
    '09 YAMAHA YFZ450R
    '08 YAMAHA AR210

Name
    Dan
    Bike(s)
    Mine: '09 DL650, '08 WR250R / Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L
    Quote Originally Posted by robb86 View Post
    We headed out to Highland Park yesterday morning, little Raptor 250 in tow. Arrived a little early, they open at 9am but we enjoyed the peaceful surroundings and cool weather over breakfast. Checked in, they went over everything. They were super friendly, eager to help and explained everything in detail. Got boots, rental bike (KTM 200XC) and discussed the map and a few trails and off we went. I took a few laps around the parking lot, just to familiarize myself with the KTM. Bike felt great, I kept wanting to grab the front brake and tried to really focus on slow maneuvering and using the rear brake.

Around 9:30am we hit the inner loop for a first go around. We rode at our pace (read slow) and hugging the right shoulder to let faster riders by, which there were a few. It was my girlfriends first time riding up and down hills with the Raptor, she did great! We didn't go too fast, kept a good pace and it was an absolute blast. The hill decent at the end of loop was very intimidating at first, I grabbed the front brake and realized my mistake immediately. Didn't go down once but had that one "pucker up" moment. I haven't been on a dirt bike since 2000, 11 years! Even back then we rode on mostly in flat field, building our own little ramps to get some very minor air. Did the outer loop two more times, taking breaks in-between in the parking area. Headed over to the office for a burger ($2) and hotdog ($1), basic but delicious and can't beat it at those prices. Also chatted with the staff about the trails.

After lunch we did the inner loop, trail #5, #9 and #2. Trail #2 is rated a 2diamond, I beg to differ about its rating. It caught us off guard, it has a lot of down hill, hair pin and back up hill parts (massive loose rocks everywhere). We made it through at our pace, it was a blast but just a little unexpected. We did like the challenge but we might want to work our way up to higher rated trails.

Overall we did the inner loop six times, first three times by itself and the last three times with some of the easier trails. My girlfriend did great, stalled once due to being in the incorrect gear (she lost count, haha), I was uber proud of her and she had a blast. She loved trail #5 but wanted to try the outer loop right before we left. My butt was killing me, it still hurts right now, haha. So I chickened out and said we'll come back another day to continue the fun. We also enjoyed watching the guys riding the MX track and the kids on the peewee track.

As for buying a bike, I am undecided. I loved riding the KTM however I 'm considering purchasing a four-wheeler as well now over a dirt-bike. I don't see my girlfriend getting on a dirt bike (ever), she loves the Raptor (4 wheels) thus my considering a quad as well. Figuring I can always rent a bike at Highland park to scratch the dirt bike itch but I can ride the quad easily/enjoyably with my girlfriend.

Anyone have any recommendations on quads?
    How about places to ride quads? MotoMountain, Durhamtown... the place in Macon?
    Glad you guys had a good time. Trail 2 can be a bit intimidating the first time you see it, but its really not too bad. I did it on a Vstrom once! . There are several 2D trails on the outside perimeter that a are a lot of fun.

I think dirt biking is a lot more fun. I used to ride quads, but the dirt bike is just so much more enjoyable to me and I would bet with some good instruction and a peer group, your gf might enjoy dirt biking too. HP has a beginner dirt bike course that would be the first place I would have your GF go and get some professional instruction. She'll use their bikes and get first hand instruction. They ride the Yamaha's so probably the TTR125 or something for her. They'll spend much of the day in an enclosed enduro area doing drills and stuff. They also offer a very beginner dirt bike course up in Alpharetta at the MSF course. Once she gets that down and gets comfortable, there is a great group of girls that ride at HP called the Spa Day girls. Every other Month, Paul Wright (owner) gives a full day of instruction to the spa day girls for free. There is probably a group of 10-12 girls that do this pretty regularly and love it. Your GF could rent a bike for that too for her first time to see how it goes. My wife hasn't been out there most of the summer, but she did this a lot and it was her favorite thing. That was actually how I got my wife to enjoy dirt biking was by getting her out there with the Spa Day girls and from that point she was hooked. The girls would take your gf in under her wings and make her feel so welcome out there. Best of all, you could go out there yourself and enjoy the day playing and not feel guilty because she'd be having a blast on her own.
    Last edited by BlueLghtning; 10-24-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
    Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R, 01 FZ1
    Hers: 13 CRF250L, 07 Ninja 650R, 06 F650GS,
    Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

States & Provinces I've ridden in:
    49 states completed between 2006 & 2008

Name
    Jason
    Bike(s)
    2012 ZX10R
    I tried dirtbikes and as much as I wanted to I just couldnt like it as much as riding my quad. Whatever you decide on you will have fun so dont sweat the decision too much.

if you think that trail had pucker factor, wait till you see the 5 diamond stuff

Name
    Frank
    Bike(s)
    Yuppie Machine
    or the 6
    The average response time of a 911 call is over 3 minutes....the response time of a .45 ACP is 880 feet per second.

Screw you and all your Obama nuthugging asshat comrades.
    Kiss my ass. I am not your "boy" you silly shit.

Dan, thanks... we'll look into that come spring time. I think she watched a video on YouTube about a SpaDay, teaching a group how to cross downed trees.

Trail #2 wasn't terrifying, just caught us off guard as the other 2diamond trails were all really, really mellow. I enjoyed the challenge but also knew I was somewhat on the edge of my riding abilities on the first day and didn't want to push my luck. All in all we loved it, the girlfriend actually asked when we can go out again last night, guess we found a new hobby.

We watched several videos of guys doing the single track, some amazing riding.

Can anyone recommend a decent trial atv?
    Last edited by robb86; 10-25-2011 at 08:07 AM.
    Elegante Surfaces, LLC
    Custom Granite, Marble & Quartz Counter-tops.

'10 SVT RAPTOR
    '09 YAMAHA YFZ450R
    '08 YAMAHA AR210